Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Following on from the excellent upgrade deals yesterday, the American Airlines ‘Daily Deals’ continue today with the airline offering one-way flights starting from just $39. The terms and conditions of the deal suggest that the best fares are only available for travel to six cities but the evidence suggests that great fares are available across the network.
American Airlines ‘Fun In The USA’ Promo
Headline Terms & Conditions
- Offer valid for reservations made in the US for nonstop flights originating in the contiguous 48 U.S. states to select US destinations: Austin (AUS), New Orleans (MSY), Nashville (BNA), Las Vegas (LAS), Reno (RNO), San Antonio (SAT)
- Offer is valid for reservations made January 15, 2021 from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
- Offer is valid for travel from Jan 22, 2021 through March 31, 2021.
- This offer cannot be applied retroactively or to existing reservations.
- Prices valid for travel Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Excludes travel on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Valid only on nonstop flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle. Not valid on codeshare flights.
- Stopovers are not allowed.
- Offer is not combinable with any other offer or promotion
- Travel may be available for Basic Economy non-refundable fare. Seat assignments made during check-in. May not be eligible for upgrade.
Full Terms & Conditions can be found on the promotion page
The ‘Fun In The USA’ promotion may, technically, only be for travel to very select cities, but as the promotion page itself shows, there are great fares to be had for travel to a wide variety of cities across the United States
Fares for one-way Economy Class travel:
- Charlotte – Las Vegas from $49
- Charlotte – New York from $40
- Chicago – Las Vegas from $42
- Chicago – Los Angeles from $42
- Dallas – New Orleans from $39
- Dallas – Las Vegas from $42
- Dallas – Reno from $39
- Dallas – Los Angeles from $42
- Los Angeles – Dallas from $42
- Miami – New York from $42
- Miami – Austin from $39
- Miami – Houston from $42
- New York – Dallas from $49
- New York – Miami from $42
- Philadelphia – Orlando from $39
- Philadelphia – Miami from $42
A good number of these fares appear to be for Basic Economy, but I’ve seen quite a few instances of where the Main Cabin fare is just a few dollars more – like for this flight between LaGuardia and Miami: (note: this low fare may have something to do with the aircraft that’s operating the flight):
Note: this low fare may have something to do with the aircraft that’s operating the flight.
Let’s get the minor annoyance out of the way first. This is a ‘daily deal’ so you don’t have a lot of time in which to make plans and to consider your options (you have to book by midnight tonight, Central Time) and the best fares are only available on select days of the week (weekends are excluded), but those aren’t really major issues or grievances are they? When you consider the fact that you can fly over 1,000 miles (MIA-NYC) for $42 or almost 2,000 miles (CLT-LAS) for $49, it’s pretty hard to complain (whether it’s actually worth flying to Las Vegas is a whole other discussion).
Overall, this is another very good day for a deal from American Airlines (week 2 has been good so far…if now quite as good as week 1) so if you need to travel (please think twice before traveling if you don’t really have to) it’s probably worth checking out the deals that American is offering today.
Keep in mind that some areas of the US have strict measures in place to try to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (e.g. most of California is under a stay-at-home order of one kind or another and requires visitors to self-isolate upon arrival and New York has some pretty stringent rules in place too) so make sure you know what your chosen destination’s current conditions are before you decide to book a trip.
Book Using The Right Card
Make sure you get the best deal out of whatever fare you book by using a credit card that gives you a good return on your travel spending and, preferably, one that also comes with good travel protections.
The Platinum Card from American Express and the Business Platinum Card from American Express both earn 5 points/dollar for spending made directly with airlines while the Chase Sapphire Reserve card earns 3 points/dollar for just about all travel spending. Also, and this is key, all three of these cards offer good trip delay, trip interruption, and trip cancellation protection.
The Amex Green Card earns 3 points/dollar for just about all travel spending but doesn’t offer the same level of protection as the Platinum Card or the Sapphire Reserve, and although the Citi Prestige Card matches the Platinum Card with its earnings of 5 points/dollar on spending made directly with airlines, the fact that it offers no travel protections at all makes it a less appealing option.
For the rest of today (Central Time), American Airlines is offering great deals on flights to various cities in the contiguous 48 U.S. states with one-way fares starting as low as $39. The promotion is for Economy Class bookings only and applies to travel from January 22nd through March 31st, 2021.