Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Qatar Airways has been offering Privilege Club members a 30% bonus when they convert various banking and loyalty program currencies into Avios since the beginning of the month but with the bonus offer ending tomorrow, there isn’t much time left for those whose Avios balance needs a boost.
An important thing to be aware of here is that this isn’t a Citi offer. You will not see this offer on Citi.com or on the ThankYou site. This is a Qatar Airways offer so the bonus points will be awarded by the airline and not by the bank.
Key to know
- If you convert points worth up to 30,000 Avios you’ll get a bonus of 20%
- If you convert points worth over 30,000 Avios you’ll get a bonus of 30%
The Qatar Airways Privilege Club is free to join (here)
Bonuses are calculated per transaction so two transfers generating 20,000 Avios each will only trigger a 20% bonus even though over 30,000 Avios have been generated in total.
This offer ends on 15 November 2022 at 23:59 (GMT+3) – TOMORROW
Multiple banking currencies from around the world and a number of other loyalty programs are participating in this promotion (see the terms and conditions reproduced below) but for most of us, the key transfer partner here is Citi (transfers from the Wold of Hyatt represent poor value).
Citi ThankYou Points transfer over to the Qatar Airways Privilege Cub in a ratio of 1:1. Other banking and loyalty currencies may transfer across in different ratios.
Transfers between Citi and Qatar Airways are instantaneous but the bonus points that are awarded by Qatar Airways will not appear in your Privilege Club account for up to 45 days after the transfer has taken place (during a similar promotion back in June/July, I received my bonus points after 18 days).
Keep in mind that Qatar Airways Avios can be easily transferred across to British Airways so any Citi ThankYou Points that are transferred over can be used to book great value short-haul awards (on various airlines) through the British Airways Executive Club.
Avios within a British Airways Executive account can also be transferred to the Aer Lingus Aer Club and Iberia Plus programs both of which offer good low surcharge award options.
As an added bonus, Qatar Airways is offering anyone who participates in this promotion a discount on a future booking:
- Convert reward points worth up to 30,000 Avios and get up to 10% off your next trip
- Convert reward points worth over 30,000 Avios and get up to 12% off your next trip
As these discounts will probably come with a significant number of restrictions, no one should be converting their points balances into Avios just to get these savings. They should only be viewed as an added bonus that may or may not be of use.
Terms and conditions
- These Terms and Conditions govern the campaign, organized by Qatar Airways Privilege Club, enabling Privilege Club members to earn up to 30% bonus Avios when they convert their Rewards Points to Avios with any participating partner.
- This campaign ends on 15th Nov 2022, 2359hrs (GMT+3).
- This campaign is open to all Privilege Club members who are customers of participating partners in the prescribed markets and have Rewards Points.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club members will earn a bonus Avios on converting Rewards Points from a participating partner into Avios.
- The bonus Avios awarded will be 20% of the number of base Avios (up to 30,000) converted in a single transaction, and 30% of the number of base Avios (over 30,000) converted in a single transaction.
- The conversion of Rewards Points to base Avios is subject to the conversion ratio and terms and conditions set forth by the participating partner.
- The participating partners are listed in the “Participating partners” section below. For more details, refer to the section below.
- All bonus Avios earned will reflect in your Privilege Club account by 15th Dec 2022.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club members converting Shangri-La points to Avios will receive a flat 30% bonus Avios during the campaign period.
- The bonus Avios will be calculated per transaction and not on the cumulative sum of base Avios converted from Rewards Points during the campaign period except Ooredoo Qatar.
- A confirmation email will be sent to qualified members eligible for up to 12% on flights with Qatar Airways post credit of Avios with a promo code valid for bookings on all Qatar Airways operated itineraries worldwide within the specified booking & travel period.
- The bonus Avios will not be calculated retroactively under any circumstances.
- If the Avios, which your Rewards Points were converted into, are credited to your Privilege Club account after the period during which this offer is valid has passed, you will not earn bonus Avios under this campaign.
- Once Avios are credited to your Privilege Club account, after converting your Rewards points into Avios, the transaction will not be reversed.
- All base Avios and bonus Avios awarded under this campaign will be subject to the Qatar Airways Privilege Club Terms & Conditions.
- All decisions made by Qatar Airways Privilege Club with respect to any matter relating to this campaign shall be final. Qatar Airways Privilege Club reserves the right to vary these terms and conditions and terminate or otherwise amend this campaign without prior notice at its sole and absolute discretion.
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club reserves the right to verify the eligibility of participating Privilege Club members and eliminate them if found suspicious and involved in fraudulent activity.
Participating partners (per Qatar Airways)
- Ahli Bank Oman
- Ahli Bank Qatar
- Ahli United Bank
- Air Miles
- Axis Bank
- Banque Saudi Fransi
- Cathay United Bank
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Doha Bank
- Dukhan Bank
- Emirates Islamic Bank
- HSBC (Hong Kong, Mexico, Taiwan and USA)
- Hyundai Card
- Kasikorn Bank
- Kuwait Finance House
- Masraf Al Rayan
- Oman Arab Bank
- Ping An
- Qatar International Islamic Bank (QIIB)
- Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore)
- ALL – Accor Live Limitless
- Centara Hotels & Resorts
- Hyatt Hotels
- Shangri-La Circle
- Ooredoo (Qatar)
Qatar Airways is offering a bonus of up to 30% for transfers of various banking and loyalty currencies to the Qatar Airways Privilege Club but that offer ends tomorrow. In the United States, Citi is the major Qatar Airways partner and with ThankYou points readily available through cards like the Citi Premier® Card (currently offering a great welcome bonus) and the Citi® Double Cash Credit Card, there should be quite a few people for whom this promotion offers a great chance to boost an Avios balance.