Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
The World of Hyatt has been offering bonuses of up to 30% in its current points sale since the middle of January but tomorrow is the last day to take part. If you need to top up an account or if you can still make the most of Hyatt’s 25% rebate on award bookings (which ends on Sunday), this may be a sale worth considering.
Buy Hyatt Points – Headline Rules
- Offer available with purchases made by 11:59 pm February 23, 2021 (TOMORROW).
- Purchase 5,000 or more Bonus Points in a single transaction and receive 30% additional Bonus Points.
- Bonus Points will be awarded upon completion of individual transaction.
- In order to participate in a purchase transaction, you must be a member for at least 60 days to purchase or receive Bonus Points.
- Bonus Points can be purchased in increments of 1,000, up to 55,000 points per calendar year.
- Members can receive points in increments of 1,000, up to 55,000 points per calendar year.
- Additional Bonus Points awarded under this offer do not count towards these maximums.
- Only purchases made online are eligible for the promotion.
- GST/HST will be charged to Canadian residents. QST will be charged to Quebec residents.
- Purchased points are not refundable and transactions are non-reversible.
- Purchased points are applicable toward all World of Hyatt awards.
- Points purchased using this option will post within 48 hours.
Full terms and conditions can be found via the promotion page.
The good news is that as long as you buy at least 5,000 points in this sale, you will be buying World of Hyatt points at the best rate this promotion offers.
Whether you buy 5,000 points…
….or 55,000 points (the maximum allowed)…
….the cost per point doesn’t change – it remains at ~1.85 cents/point.
Should You Buy Hyatt Points In This Promotion?
It should go without saying that if you don’t have an immediate need for Hyatt points you shouldn’t be considering this sale – that has always been the case but it’s more true now than ever before (my one essential rule to follow when buying miles and points applies here). Having said that (and as I mentioned earlier), there an added element right now that makes the economics of this sale a lot more traveler-friendly.
Can You Save 15% – 25% On Award Bookings This Week?
If you have scope to enjoy and award booking this week this sale could save you quite a bit of money.
Hyatt is offering all World of Hyatt members a rebate of at least 15% on award bookings made by 28 February while Hyatt co-branded credit card holders will receive a rebate of 25% (more details) for stays through 28 February 2021 (this coming Sunday). That’s impressive, and it opens up some great opportunities for anyone who can travel this week.
Ignoring The Rebates
If you cannot travel by Sunday, the only other valid reason to buy points in this sale is if you need to buy a small number of points to top up an account. Otherwise, you’ll be better off waiting for an improved sale which will be along at some point in the next few months.
Hyatt sells its points through Points.com so there’s no scope to earn a travel/hotel bonus by using a credit card that offers bonus points for shopping in either of those categories. This makes this a good opportunity to use a credit card on which you’re working towards a welcome bonus (like the excellent bonus currently available on the World of Hyatt credit card) or a card that earns you points that you value highly (e.g. the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express (review) which earns cardholders 2 Membership Rewards Points/dollar spent on the first $50,000 of spending every year).
If you’re planning a trip before the award night rebate deal ends or if you’re topping off an account it could make sense to buy points in this sale. If you’re not planning a trip before 28 February and if you need more than a few thousand points, you should almost certainly walk away.