Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express and Amazon are back with a fantastic deal that allows targeted Membership Rewards cardholders to save 20% (up to $50) on their Amazon spending by using just 1 Membership Rewards point when they check out.
In further good news, being targeted for this offer in the past will not necessarily exclude you from participating in this latest promotion…and I’m proof of that. I was targeted for the exact same deal shortly earlier this year and back in December (I used the offer to great effect on Apple’s AirPods Pro) and I’ve been targeted this time around too.
Check To See If You’re Targeted
Checking to see if you’re targeted is a multi-step process…but it’s pretty simple.
- First, you need to head over to this amazon page where you should click on the “Activate now” button that you’ll find there.
- Regardless of what message appears after you activate the offer you now need to put an eligible item (an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com) in your basket and head to the checkout – don’t assume that a green-lettered confirmatory message is a sign that you’re eligible for this promotion.
- When you get to the checkout pages make sure you have an American Express Membership Rewards card (e.g. the Platinum Card or the Blue Business Plus credit card) associated with your account.
- Next, make sure that you have chosen to part pay for your purchase with 1 American Express Membership Rewards point (worth $0.01 according to Amazon).
- Now review your order and, assuming you’ve been targeted for the promotion and you have added an eligible item to your basket, you should see 20% being taken off the cost of your order (up to a maximum of $50) and $0.01 of Membership Rewards points being deducted from your account.
Full terms and conditions for this offer have been reproduced at the end of this post.
Select Gift Cards Qualify For This Offer
Despite what the terms and conditions say about eligible items being items shipped and sold by Amazon.com, it would appear that a number of different gift cards will trigger this deal.
I bought a variety of Apple/iTunes gift cards and a number of store gift cards that Joanna wanted and had no trouble getting the full $50 discount applied.
Needless to say, I haven’t checked all the different gift cards that are sold on Amazon but I can confirm that I have seen the discount triggered on gift cards for Starbucks, iTunes/App Store, Netflix, Whole Foods, Airbnb, Best Buy, Nordstrom, Macy’s and Uber (amongst others).
American Express has recently been targeting cardholders for a very useful bonus points offer for spending made through 22 July so make sure you add this offer to the card you use to do your shopping before you check out.
I used my Blue Business Plus credit card for my gift card purchase and earned a 1,000 Membership Rewards points (which I value at $15) on top of the $50 that the main offer gave me and that’s a total rebate that’s hard to beat.
If you need to buy something that is sold and shipped by Amazon.com or if you can make use of one or more of the gift cards that appear to trigger this deal there are some easy savings to be had here.
Don’t forget that this offer will be closed once 40,000 customers have redeemed the offer or on 4/30/2020 so head over to Amazon.com sooner rather than later if you think you can make the most of this promotion.
Full Terms & Conditions
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 4/30/2020, or (b) the time at which 40,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $50 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than $50.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.