Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Hyatt has just announced a new promotion for holders of the World of Hyatt Credit Card in which it’s offering up to 5,000 bonus points for spending made through 28 February. All World of Hyatt credit card holders are eligible for this promotion even if they’re currently in the process of being transitioned from the legacy Hyatt credit card.
5,000 Bonus Points From World Of Hyatt
Unusually for a credit card spending promotion, this offer from Hyatt is based on the number of transactions carried out using a World of Hyatt Credit Card rather than being based on one or more spending targets. This is what the promotion looks like:
- Make 10 transactions using your WoH Credit Card and earn 1,000 Bonus Points
- Make 25 transactions using your WoH Credit Card and earn 2,500 Bonus Points
- Make 50 transactions using your WoH Credit Card and earn 5,000 Bonus Points
All card purchases of at least $1.00 will count as a qualifying transaction as long as the cardholder has kept to all terms and conditions.
- Cardholders must register between 28 January and 28 February 2021
- To qualify for this promotion, transactions must be made between 1 February and 28 February 2021.
- Cardholders must use their World of Hyatt Credit Card to make a required number of purchases that are each $1.00 or more during the promotional period
- Cardholders will qualify for and receive 1,000 Bonus Points if they make 10 purchases, 1,500 additional Bonus Points if they make 25 total purchases (for a possible total of 2,500 Bonus Points), and 2,500 additional Bonus Points if they make 50 total purchases (for a possible total of 5,000 Bonus Points).
- Purchases posted to a cardholder account with a transaction date during the offer period are eligible for this offer.
- Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the last day of the promotional period for Bonus Points to post to your World of Hyatt account.
- “Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, travelers checks, foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers, or similar cash-like transactions, lottery tickets, casino gaming chips, racetrack wagers or similar betting transactions, any checks that access your account, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, and fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion/registration page.
Former Legacy Hyatt Credit Card Holders
Holders of the legacy Hyatt Credit Card were transitioned to the World of Hyatt Credit Card on 11 January (details here) but anyone who hasn’t yet received their new World of Hyatt credit card can still participate in this promotion. Per Hyatt: “Former Hyatt Credit Card members can continue to use their card for this promotion while waiting for their new World of Hyatt Card to arrive“.
I value World of Hyatt points at 1.4 cents each so, effectively, the World of Hyatt Credit Card will be offering a potential rebate of up to $70 in February 2021.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is, generally speaking, only a card that I use when I’m paying for Hyatt stays (4 points/dollar) as a number of my other credit cards can beat the earnings that it offers in other categories (2 points/dollar at gyms, dining, local transit and commuting, and airfare purchased directly with airlines). However, with bonus points at stake, I may consider using my card in spending categories where my other cards don’t offer more than a 2% rebate (e.g. dry cleaners, department stores, etc…).
Earning the first 1,000 bonus points (which I value at $14) should be easy with just 10 transactions required, and I may even manage to earn a further 1,500 bonus points (which I value at $21) by using my card 25 times in February. To earn the final 2,500 points, however, will take some effort (I don’t often make 50 credit card transactions in a month) and I’m not convinced that I can be bothered. I genuinely love World of Hyatt points but not to the extent where I’m prepared to deliberately generate transactions (split purchases, do multiple Amazon gift card loads, etc…) just to earn a few more points. I’m not saying that I won’t go for the final 2,500 points but it’s looking unlikely.
Lastly, it worth noting that you don’t have to swipe your card to generate a qualifying transaction. For the purpose of this offer, an eligible transaction includes card payments made with a swipe, via contactless, via tap and pay, via recurring transactions, via online purchases, via Apple Pay, and via other digital wallets, so as long as a cardholder isn’t using their card for a transaction that’s made void by the terms and conditions, all transactions made using a World of Hyatt Credit Card during the promotion period should qualify.
Holders of the World of Hyatt Credit Card can earn up to 5,000 bonus points by using their card when they shop online or in-person between 1 February and 28 February 2021.
Will you be trying to max-out this promotion?