Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
If you were about to make a Marriott Homes & Villas booking, don’t make that booking just yet. The Homes & Villas team has been in touch to let me know that starting in a few days’ time, they will be running a new promotion in which Bonvoy members will be able to earn double base points on all stays consumed by 30 August 2022. Full terms and conditions are not yet available as the promotion isn’t yet live, but what we do know has been reproduced below.
What I’ve been told for sure is this:
- Marriott Bonvoy members will earn double points per stay when they book a stay at a home rental through Homes & Villas by Marriott International website between 27 December and 11 January 2022, with check-out on or before 30 August 2022.
- The promotion will not require Bonvoy members to book a minimum number of nights to trigger the double points but individual properties have varying minimum night requirements of their own.
Based on the double points promotion that Marriott Homes & Villas ran for a short period of time in November, this is what some of the other key terms are likely to be:
- Registration is not required for this promotion.
- To ensure points are posted to the correct Membership Account, the Marriott Bonvoy Membership Number included at the time of purchase on the Homes & Villas website must be correct.
- Members will earn five (5) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, on all Qualifying Charges incurred and paid for by the Member through the HVMI Platform. The double Points earning is applicable to members’ base Points earned per stay or equivalent to ten (10) points for each U.S. dollar.
- Non-qualifying charges include but are not limited to booking fees, taxes, cleaning fees and extra add-ons during stay.
- After the stay is completed, Elite bonus Points are awarded on the base Points earned on Qualifying Charges and according to the Member’s achieved Elite Member tier.
- Provided that the correct Marriott Bonvoy Membership Account Number is added as part of the booking process, Points will automatically appear in the Member’s Account three (3) to six (6) weeks (21 – 42 days) following the completion of their stay.
- Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points.
- Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
I’ll post a link to the full terms and conditions when the promotion goes live
Marriott Homes & Villas potential earnings
Homes & Villas bookings earn all Bonvoy members a standard 5 points/dollar before any elite status bonuses are factored in. This promotion will therefore double that to 10 points/dollar.
On top of that, we have the Bonvoy elite bonuses which will make the potential earnings look like this:
- Member – 10 points/dollar (no additional bonus)
- Silver Elite – 10.5 points/dollar (includes 10% bonus on base earnings)
- Gold Elite – 11.25 points/dollar (includes 25% bonus on base earnings)
- Platinum Elite – 12.5 points/dollar (includes 50% bonus on base earnings)
- Titanium & Ambassador Elite – 13.75 points/dollar (includes 75% bonus on base earnings)
There’s no question that Bonvoy Points will take a huge hit in value from next year when Marriott moves to dynamic pricing for award bookings, but as points from these promotions will be earned before that devaluation and will be usable with the current award charts, anyone prepared to make Marriott bookings before March 2022 should be able to extract some value from this deal.
As things stand, I value Bonvoy Points at 0.6 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them with relative ease) and that means that the latest Homes & Villas promotion allows Bonvoy members to earn effective rebates of between 6% and 8.25%.
That’s not exactly amazing, but if you were planning on making a Homes & Villas booking anyway it’s a decent effective rebate to earn.
Having said that, it’s important for me to stress that you should be looking to burn any points that you earn from this promotion before the March 2022 devaluation if you want to be sure of getting the kinds of effective rebates that I’ve discussed above.
The Homes & Villas marketing team has announced a new promotion that will double the number of base Bonvoy points that members can earn when they make a booking through the Homes & Villas website by 21 January 2022 for stays with a checkout date of 30 August or earlier. The promotion will launch on 27 December and the full terms and conditions associated with it will be available from then.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott Homes & Villas