Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
IHG is the latest hotelier to reveal its plans for Cyber Week although bookings at sale prices don’t open up till after Thanksgiving. There are multiple deals on offer this year including discounts on room rates, extra points for signing up to the Ambassador Program, more points when booking bonus point packages and a discount on points & cash bookings too.
IHG Cyber Week 2018 Sale – Terms
- Valid only for bookings made between November 23, 2018 and November 30, 2018 using the “Cyber Week Sale” rate.
- All bookings must be consumed between November 26, 2018 and March 31, 2019 at participating IHG® hotels.
- The discount is at least 25% off the Best Flexible Rate.
- IHG® Rewards Club members receive an additional savings.
- Additional member discount varies by region.
- Booking must be made at least three (3) days in advance and requires non-refundable, full pre-payment for the entire stay at the time of booking.
- Discount varies by hotel, blackout dates apply.
- Rooms are subject to availability and certain room types may be excluded.
- Hotel policy varies in regards to the minimum length of stay required and number of guests allowed per room.
- Not applicable with other discounted rate promotions.
- Not applicable to group bookings.
- Hotel specific early departure fee applies.
- Americas Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants and IHG® Army Hotels are excluded from the promotion.
IHG Cyber Week Other Deals
Earn 10,000 Bonus Points With Ambassador
The Ambassador Program is the somewhat strange loyalty program offered by the InterContinental brand of IHG (more details here) and right now IHG is offering a 10,000 point bonus for anyone who signs up. I haven’t seen an end date published for this offer but IHG says that the offer will be available for a “limited time” so it may only run through 30 November like the other Cyber Week deals.
Save Up To 15% On Points & Cash Bookings
This is pretty straightforward – sale 15% off the cash element of a booking when you book a Points & Cash rate between 23 November and 30 November 2018 and stay between 26 November and 31 December 2018.
Get More With Bonus Points Packages
IHG offers special rates which cost more than the regular night rate but which earn guests bonus IHG Reward points over and above what their booking and status would have earned them anyway.
For Cyber Week IHG is offering 50% more bonus points on these packages as long as they’re booked between 23 November and 30 November 2018 and the stay is taken between 26 November and 31 December 2018.
It’s disappointing that Kimpton properties appear not to be participating in the IHG Cyber Week sale (I hate it when brands pick and choose what parts of a loyalty program they want to adhere to and which parts they want to skip) and it’s disappointing that some of the deals only work through the end of the year.
The 25% sale discount isn’t exactly very generous…especially as it’s based on the best flexible rate and not the best overall rate and the booking you end up with is a pre-paid non-flexibe rate (some of the deals Hilton released yesterday was a lot more interesting)
The 10,000 point welcome gift for signing up to the Ambassador program will be nice if you were planning to sign up anyway but it shouldn’t be enough to suddenly make $200/year Ambassador membership enticing.
There may be a way to get more value than is obvious out of the discount being offered on Points & Cash reservations but I won’t be able to check this until all the rates are live on IHG.com (I’ll report back here if I find anything useful)
All in all I can’t say I’m particularly impressed with what IHG has come up with for Cyber Week and a lot of people may be better off buying points in the latest points sale (and then using them to book their trips) rather than trying to find a good deal in this sale….but it will still be worth checking what’s on offer in the sale just to be sure.
What do you think of IHG’s Cyber Week Sale?