Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission which helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Right now you can combine an offer from American Express with a portal offer from either American Airlines or United Airlines to get a very nice rebate on a future Marriott stay.
The New Marriott Amex Offer
Amex has just launched a new Amex offer for Marriott purchases in which it is offering up to 20% back through 3 June 2019.
Here are the headline terms and conditions you should be aware of:
- Get a one-time $40 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200+ on room rate and room charges at participating properties in the Marriott Bonvoy™ portfolio from 3/25/19 to 6/3/19.
- Book at Marriott.com.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid only at participating Marriott Bonvoy™ properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories.
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy App or by calling 1-888-236-2427.
- Excludes Marriott Vacation Club®, Design Hotels™, Protea Hotels®, and Marriott Executive Apartments®.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
Check the full terms and conditions on the Amex Offers page before making any bookings
Earn 10 Miles/Dollar On Marriott Bookings
Both the American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping portal and the United Airlines MileagePlus shopping portal are both currently offering 10 miles/dollar spent with Marriott and there’s no reason this shouldn’t stack with the Amex Offer mentioned above.
Here terms and conditions you need to be aware of (both portals appear to have the same t&cs)
- Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate) are not eligible.
- Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates for Marriott Bonvoy™ members (e.g. Marriott Bonvoy™ offer discount, Marriott Bonvoy™ offer package), with the exception of Marriott Bonvoy™ Member rates are not eligible.
- Rooms that are booked or upgraded and paid for using redeemed Marriott Bonvoy™ Points are not eligible.
- Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site.
- Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.
- Excluded brands and properties include:
- Ritz-Carlton Destination Club
- Design Hotels
- Atlantis, Autograph Collection
- Bulgari Hotel, London
- Joshua G.E. Medical Corp. Conference Center
- Jesse Jones Rotary Conference Center, Marriott Ranch
- Protea Hotel Amani Beach
- Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
- The Ritz-Carlton London
- U.S. Postal Service Conference Center
- Four Points by Sheraton Havana
- The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
How To Take Advantage Of These Offers
- Be aware of the terms and conditions for each offer – do not make any bookings until you have read all the terms and are sure you understand what will and what will not qualify for the rebate and/or miles.
- Load up your chosen American Express card with the Marriott Bonvoy offer (use a card that will get you bonus points at Marriott properties or on hotel bookings if possible).
- Head over through to the airline portal of your choice and click through to Marriott.com
- Make a booking in line with the terms and conditions of the portals and the Amex offer.
I value AAdvantage Miles at around 1.25 cents each and United Miles at around 1.40 cents each so the 10 point/dollar bonus rate is worth between 12.5% and 14.0% to me….and that’s a very good deal.
If you can add to that a Marriott booking that doesn’t cost much more than $200 it’s possible to get a return of between 32.5% and 34.0% when stacking these deals…and that’s a fantastic discount.
The Amex offer will have no effect on your ability to earn 10miles/dollar through the airline portals and, because you’re booking direct through Marriott, none of these offers will prevent you from earning Marriott Bonvoy points, earning elite night credits or enjoying status benefits on your booking.
Neither of these deals should be good enough to encourage anyone to make a booking they wasn’t planning on making anyway but, if you were considering making a Marriott booking and your travel dates fit with the Amex offer, I suggest you book asap – there’s a good chance the 10 miles/dollar bonuses won’t be available on the portals tomorrow.