Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
If you hold a credit card or charge card issued by American Express then you have access to one of my favorite benefits – Amex Offers. Amex Offers are a great way of boosting your Membership Rewards balance or saving cold hard cash with selected retailers, hoteliers and airlines and I enjoy using them as a way of offsetting any annual fees I have to pay.
To see what Amex Offers you have been targeted for simply scroll down your Amex account homepage and you should see the “Amex Offers & Benefits” header:
Right now AMEX is offering targeted cardholders a fantastic deal in which they can earn a LOT of Membership Rewards points when making a single booking through the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts service.
Earn 16,000 Membership Rewards Points
Here are the highlights of the offer:
Targeted cardholders can earn 16,000 additional Membership Rewards points (once only) when they use their enrolled card to make a single purchase of $800+ on a prepaid hotel booking with Fine Hotels & Resorts properties online at amextravel.com by 9/30/2019.
Headline Terms & Conditions:
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of purchase are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Your enrollment does not extend to any other Cards that may be linked to the same Membership Rewards program account (such as Additional Cards).
- Offer is non-transferable.
- ELIGIBLE PURCHASES: Offer valid only for a single prepaid hotel booking with Fine Hotels & Resorts® properties made at AmexTravel.com.
- Excludes bookings with The Hotel Collection properties and properties that are eligible for the Lowest Hotel Rates Guarantee.
- Not valid on car or cruise bookings, phone orders, transactions made via online chat, or bookings made with a travel specialist.
- Excludes the flight portion of a flight+hotel package and purchases of gift cards, travel insurance, or travelers cheques.
- Valid only on US website.
The full terms and conditions can be found within the offer in your targeted American Express card account.
I value Membership Rewards points at a conservative 1.5 cents each so the 16,000 Membership Rewards points on offer are an effective rebate of $240.
If you can manage to spend little more than the required $800+ you would be saving almost 30% on your booking….and that’s a really great deal.
There is one small confusion here and I have to confess that I don’t have the answer to what I’m about to point out.
Generally speaking, an added bonus of booking through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts is that bookings made through this channel generally allow guests to earn loyalty points from the hotel chain at which they’re staying and the hotel will also honor any elite benefits a guest may have.
But that’s when you book through americanexpressfhr.com and not through amextravel.com as this promotion appears to require.
Bookings through amextravel.com are usually treated as 3rd party bookings and hotels will not offer loyalty points or elite benefits for such bookings.
This leaves us with two questions:
- Will bookings made through americanexpressfhr.com trigger the 16,000 Membership Rewards points bonus?
- Will Amex FHR bookings made through amextravel.com award loyalty points and see elite benefits honored?
Is suspect that the answer to both is “no” but I have no way of calling AMEX right now to check and, even if I could call, I doubt I’d be able to get a definitive answer from anyone.
This looks like a fantastic offer but it one in which I think its best if you assume that any bookings made will not earn the hotel’s loyalty points and that elite benefits won’t be honored – anything else should just be considered a nice bonus.