Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Today has seen American Airlines launch the last of its ‘Daily Deals’ (It’s been a good two weeks) and today’s deal may be the one that’s useful to the most people. For today only, American Airlines is offering 30% off flights to Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, and this time the travel dates run through September 2021.
American Airlines ‘30% Off Beach Destinations’ Promo
Headline Terms & Conditions
- 30% discount applies to base fare only. Discount will already be reflected on the fares displayed. No promotional code needed.
- Offer valid for reservations made in the US for flights originating in the contiguous 48 U.S. states to select beach destinations: Grenada (GND), Grand Cayman (GCM), Punta Cana (PUJ), George Town (GGT), North Eleuthera (ELH), Puerto Plata (POP), Curacao (CUR), Bermuda (BDA), Saint Martin (SXM), Montego Bay (MBJ), Nassau (NAS), Barbados (BGI), Turks and Caicos (PLS), Aruba (AUA), Bonaire (BON), Marsh Harbour (MHH), Antigua (ANU), Saint Kitts (SKB), Freeport (FPO), Saint Lucia (UVF), Saint Vincent (SVD), Puerto Rico (SJU), St. Thomas (STT), St. Croix (STX), Fort-de-France (FDF), Pointe-à-Pitre (PTP), Los Cabos (SJD), Cancun (CUN), La Paz (LAP), Mazatlan (MZT), Cozumel (CZM), Puerto Vallarta (PVR), Manzanillo (ZLO), Huatulco (HUX), Acapulco (ACA), Loreto (LTO), Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo (ZIH), Belize (BZE), Roatan (RTB), Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Offer is valid for reservations made January 17, 2021 from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
- Offer is valid for travel from January 20, 2021 through September 30, 2021.
- This offer cannot be applied retroactively or to existing reservations.
- Valid only on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle. Not valid on codeshare flights.
- Stopovers are not allowed.
- Offer is not combinable with any other offer or promotion
- Offer applies to all cabins.
- Valid for one-way or round-trip travel.
Full Terms & Conditions can be found on the promotion page
Here are some of the Economy Class roundtrip fares that American is promoting:
- Charlotte – San Juan (Puerto Rico) from $146
- Charlotte – Providenciales from $270
- Dallas – Cabo San Lucas from $260
- Dallas – St Thomas from $156
- Miami – Providenciales from $240
- Miami – Aruba from $211
- New York – Aruba from $266
- New York – Antigua from $280
- Philadelphia – Saint Martin from $231
- Philadelphia – Montego Bay from $272
Note: Some of the fares indicated above will be for Basic Economy while others are for Main Cabin travel
There’s quite a bit to like here. Once you get over the fact that you only have today to book (by midnight Central Time), the fact that the discount is available on Economy and First Class fares, the fact that the discount can be found on one-way fares as well as roundtrip fares, and the fact that the discount applies to travel through September, means that this promotion will probably interest a broad audience.
A lot of American’s recent daily deals may have been great offers, but a lot of them also requited travel to take place in the first quarter of this year and, with the virus still very much out of control, a lot of people are still very reluctant to travel (understandably).
Before you rush to book any trips, keep in mind that countries in the Caribbean and in Central America have measures in place to try to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Make sure you know what your chosen destination’s current conditions are like (if a destination is under lockdown it may not be worth traveling), make sure you know what all the local rules are (please be sensible and obey them), and make sure you check what paperwork you’ll need before you’ll be allowed to travel.
A significant number of destinations in the Caribbean require travelers to show proof of a negative COVID test before they will be permitted to travel so make sure you factor in the cost of testing when working out how much your trip will cost (American Airlines is now offering COVID testing to all US destinations as well as to select Caribbean/Central American destinations)
Book Using The Right Card
Make sure you get the best deal out of whatever fare you book by using a card that gives you a good return on your travel spending and, preferably, one that also comes with good travel protections.
The Platinum Card from American Express and the Business Platinum Card from American Express both earn 5 points/dollar for spending made directly with airlines while the Chase Sapphire Reserve card earns 3 points/dollar for just about all travel spending. Also, and this is key, all three of these cards offer good trip delay, trip interruption, and trip cancellation protection.
The Amex Green Card earns 3 points/dollar for just about all travel spending but doesn’t offer the same level of protection as the Platinum Card or the Sapphire Reserve, and although the Citi Prestige Card matches the Platinum Card with its earnings of 5 points/dollar on spending made directly with airlines, the fact that it offers no travel protections at all makes it a less appealing option.
For the rest of today (Central Time), American Airlines is offering 30% off Economy and First Class fares for travel from the US to Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean between 20 January and 30 September 2021.