Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
Here’s a hotel promotion that really couldn’t be any simpler: Between now and the end of the year travelers can collect up to 1,000 bonus Avios each time they stay at one of Marriott’s European properties.
This promotion is aimed at guests who prefer to collect Avios in place of Marriott Bonvoy points as you cannot choose to collect both currencies for the same stay.
Headline Terms & Conditions
- Offer is available for bookings made by 31 August 2019 for stays at participating Marriott hotels throughout Europe.
- Stays must be taken by 31 December 2019.
- Check-in can be any day of the week.
- A “hotel stay” or “stay” means all consecutive nights spent with the same Marriott property by a registered Marriott Bonvoy member, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
- Offer is only available at participating Marriott Hotels®, Renaissance® Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton®, Marriott Vacation Club®, JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, EDITION®, Delta Hotels by Marriott®, Le Meridien®, The Luxury Collection®, Sheraton®, St. Regis®, Tribute Portfolio®, W® Hotels, Westin®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Courtyard by Marriott®, Residence Inn® by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott®, MOXY® Hotels, Aloft®, Element by Westin®, Four Points® by Sheraton in Europe.
- Advance reservations required.
- Limited number of rooms available for the offer.
- Offer does not apply to groups of 10 or more rooms.
- Upgraded rooms and family rooms may be available at a limited number of properties and will attract a supplement.
- Blackout dates may apply – This offer may not be available during periods of peak demand.
- To be eligible for this promotion, members must enroll with Marriott Bonvoy and select miles as their earning preference. Miles are earned based on qualifying charges.
- Base Avios will be earned in addition to the 500 or 1,000 bonus Avios available on this promotion for each paid stay.
How Many Avios Can You Earn?
You can find out more about earning Avios through Marriott stays on the British Airways website (link) but, in essence, you’ll earn 2 Avios/dollar at most full-service Marriott’s and 1 Avios/dollar at Marriott’s longer stay properties.
Cross-referencing the terms of the promotion with the table supplied by British Airways (above) suggests that the following brands will offer 1,000 bonus Avios per stay…
- Marriott Hotels
- Renaissance Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton
- Marriott Vacation Club
- JW Marriott
- Autograph Collection
- Delta Hotels by Marriott
- Le Meridien
- The Luxury Collection
- St. Regis
- Tribute Portfolio
- W Hotels
….while the following brands will offer just 500 bonus Avios per stay:
- Marriott Executive Apartments
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Residence Inn by Marriott
- AC Hotels by Marriott
- MOXY Hotels
- Element by Westin
- Four Points by Sheraton
The number of bonus Avios you can earn in this promotion is only limited by the number of days left in the year for travelers to stay at Marriott’s European properties.
How To Choose To Earn Avios Instead Of Marriott Bonvoy Points
- Login to your account at Marriott.com
- Click on your name in the top-right corner of the screen and select ‘Profile’ from the menu that appears.
- Scroll down your profile page until, under the ‘Preferences’ section, you see ‘Earning Preferences’.
- Click the ‘Edit’ button next to ‘Earning Preferences’ and, in the window that opens, select ‘miles’, select the British Airways Executive Club and add your British Airways Executive Club number.
- Click ‘Submit’
If you’re not a frequent guest at Marriott properties and you have a use for Avios it may be a good idea to choose to earn Avios instead of Marriott Bonvoy points for your future stays.
Infrequent Marriott stays can mean that it takes a very long time before you earn enough points to book a hotel award (you may even risk having your points expire before you have a chance to use them) while Avios are relatively simple to collect and just as simple to use.
This is a very straightforward promotion and one which is weighted in favor of travelers making multiple short stays over travelers making fewer long stays at Marriott’s European properties so, I suspect, it will be Business travelers that make the most of this…but that doesn’t make it a bad promotion.