Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Update: Starbucks gift card reloads will trigger this bonus – I tested it and I was awarded 10x points.
While dealing with some credit card admin over the past weekend and looking through my various Chase accounts online, I noticed that my Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card has been targeted for a particularly good offer for spending at Starbucks in the US.
I’m not particularly good at keeping up with the various ‘Chase Offers’ that all my Chase-issued credit cards get targeted for because, to be frank, most of them aren’t particularly exciting or rewarding. This offer, however, wasn’t listed under the usual offers section. Instead, it appeared as a standalone promotion to one side of all the other offers (which is how I noticed it).
Based on the terms and conditions, it looks like this offer has been around since the beginning of the month but as this is the first time that I’ve noticed it in my account and as I haven’t picked up on it elsewhere, I thought that I’d flag it up.
Targeted cardholders will earn 10 points for every dollar spent in the United States on purchases made through the Starbucks app or at Starbuscks.com. That’s a bonus of 7 points/dollar.
- To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must activate by 08/31/2022 11:59 PM ET.
- You will earn a total of 10 points for each $1 spent on purchases made in the U.S. in the Starbucks app or at starbucks.com (7 points on top of the 3 points you earn on those purchases in the dining at restaurants category) on up to $500 in total purchases from 05/31/2022 to 08/31/2022.
- Purchases posted to your account with a transaction date during the offer period are eligible for this offer.
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for points to post to your account. (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, travelers checks, foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers or similar cash-like transactions, lottery tickets, casino gaming chips, race track wagers or similar betting transactions, any checks that access your account, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, and fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)
- To qualify for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
- Eligible credit cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve card, Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
- Only one credit card account per cardmember is eligible for this offer.
Full terms and conditions can be found on the promotion page (if you have been targeted).
How to check if you’ve been targeted
This isn’t a standard ‘Chase Offer’ so you almost certainly won’t find it under the usual Chase Offers section of your online account.
The easiest way to check to see if you’ve been targeted for this promotion is to head over to Chase’s ‘my bonus page’ (link) and to fill in the three basic fields that you’ll find there.
If you’ve been targeted, you’ll see a page like the one below after you’ve submitted your details.
If you haven’t been targeted, a message saying that the offer you’re trying to access isn’t available on your card.
Chase Ultimate Rewards Points are one of the currencies that I most like to collect and as I value them at 1.5 cents each (based on the value that I know I can get out of them without too much trouble), this promotion is effectively offering me a 15% return on up to $500 of Starbucks spending made with my Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (review).
I’ll take that!
I’m highly unlikely to spend $500 on Starbucks purchases between now and the end of August but as all purchases made through the app and Starbucks.com are eligible for the bonus points, I may take this opportunity to top up my Starbucks account balance to make sure that I lock in at least some of the bonus points on offer to me.
If you hold the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card Chase may have targeted you for an offer that allows you to earn 10 points/dollar on up to $500 of spending made at Starbucks.com or the Starbucks app through the end of August. If you can’t see this offer in your online account, Chase’s ‘my bonus’ page will allow you to check to see if you’ve been targeted.