Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
American Express has launched the first travel-related offer that I’ve seen for months (luggage offers don’t count!) so if you’re planning on making any Marriott bookings in the next couple of months, I suggest you check your accounts to see if you have been targeted.
Offer: Spend $200 & Get $50 Back
Get a one-time $50 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200 USD on room rate and room charges for your stay at participating properties across the Marriott Bonvoy portfolio’s 30 hotel brands from 7/31/2020 to 9/21/2020.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Offer valid only at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties in the U.S. and U.S. territories, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Bonvoy App or by calling 1-888-236-2427.
- Marriott Vacation Club
- Design Hotels
- Protea Hotels
- Marriott Executive Apartments
- Homes & Villas by Marriott International
- Vistana Signature Experiences.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Not valid for online retail purchases, hotel amenities, or purchases of Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- A qualifying purchase means a purchase at a participating Marriott property made during the offer period with your enrolled American Express Card and which is in an amount totaling at least $200 USD as posted to your account, following conversion from a foreign currency, if applicable, in accordance with your Card Member Agreement.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions
First and foremost, if you’ve been targeted for this offer don’t load it to the first card in your account that you see it on as your other cards may give you better options. Hopefully, you will have had this offer targeted to a Marriott Bonvoy card (like the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card from American Express) as that will maximize your earnings but, if as in my case, that’s not how things have panned out, make sure you don’t load the offer to a card that charges foreign transaction fees if you think there’s a chance you’ll use the offer in a country that doesn’t invoice in USD (Canada would be a good example in this case).
On the one hand, it’s great to see a true travel offer appearing amongst all my Amex offers after months of no travel offers at all but, on the other hand, I wish this offer wasn’t as restrictive as it is. I guess Amex doesn’t think that many people are traveling far from the US right now which is why this offer is limited to properties in the US, Canada, Mexico, the US territories, and the Caribbean, but did the offer have to expire as early as mid-September? With virus spikes popping up all over the US and with the US-Canada border still firmly closed (to most), an expiry date that’s barely over 50 days away will seriously limit how many people will want to make the most of this. Perhaps that’s Amex’s intention?
Nevertheless, I shouldn’t let the curmudgeon in me cloud my feelings too much – an offer is better than no offer so it’s great to see it appear.
Amex is targeting cardholders with an offer of $50 off a spend of $200 at Marriott properties, but make sure you read the terms and conditions closely as there are some key restrictions to when and where this offer can be triggered.