Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Update 2 November 2020: Amex has now confirmed that Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card Members will be receiving a “special holiday offer” in “the coming weeks”.
As of yesterday, a number of Chase co-branded credit cards will earn cardholders bonus points for spending at Amazon.com (for a limited time) and now, as of this morning, we’re seeing a response from Amex. Through 27 December, select holders of Amex Marriott Bonvoy credit cards can earn up to 8 points per dollar at Amazon, Target & Walmart on up to $3,500 of spending.
“Get 6 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar spent on eligible purchases at Amazon, Target and Walmart after using your enrolled Card by 12/27/2020, up to $3,500.”
The Key Terms
These are the terms that come with the offer that has been targeted to my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Credit Card – the total number of points you can earn may vary depending on which Bonvoy card(s) you hold.
- You will receive 6 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar spent (for a total of 8 points) with your enrolled Card on eligible purchases at Amazon, Target and Walmart from the time you enroll through 12/27/2020 on up to $3,500 in total eligible spend.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only purchases made with your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to the Basic Card Member.
- An “eligible transaction” means a purchase made with your enrolled Card on or before 12/27/2020.
- Offer valid only for purchases made with Amazon, Target and Walmart.
- Purchases with Amazon must be made at Amazon’s US website or via the US Amazon mobile app. Purchases with Target must be made in-store at locations in the US, online at Target’s US website or by using Target’s US mobile app. Purchases with Walmart must be made in-store at locations in the US, online at Walmart’s US website or by using Walmart’s US mobile app.
- Amazon corporate gift cards and custom-designed gift cards are excluded.
- International sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon, Amazon Go, Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, and Amazon Drive are excluded.
- Walmart purchases made at an international version of the merchant’s website are excluded. Online and in-store layaway, contact lens, photo services, recurring subscription services (for example, Beauty Box and Baby Box), insurance services, in store pharmacy transactions, auto services, protection plans, Walmart MoneyCenter, and Walmart Care Clinic are also excluded.
- Offer valid only on eligible purchases made and shipped within the U.S. Some merchants may not ship to all areas.
- Limit one enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
- Bonus points will be credited to your member account within 90 days after 12/27/2020, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
Please see your targeted offer for the full terms and conditions
I value Marriott Bonvoy Points at 0.6 cents each so, effectively, my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card has been targeted for a rebate of 4.8 cents/dollar (4.8%) on up to $3,500 of spending at Amazon, Walmart, and Target.
From an Amazon spending point of view, a number of Chase-issued co-branded credit cards are offering a better return (on up to $1,500/month of spending) so, if you hold one of those cards, it will probably be more economical for you to use up your monthly spending allowance on that card before you move your spending across to your Amex Marriott Bonvoy card.
From a Walmart spending point of view, it’s worth remembering that the excellent Chase Freedom Flex credit card (review) and the legacy Chase Freedom Card are both offering 5% cash back (5 points/dollar) on up to $1,500 of spending at Walmart as part of this quarter’s bonuses so, if you hold one of those cards, it will probably be more economical for you to use up your monthly spending allowance on it before you move your spending across to an Amex Marriott Bonvoy card.
The bonus for spending at Target is probably the most interesting offer here. Although a significant number of credit cards are currently offering bonus points for spending at Grocery stores (e.g. the Chase Sapphire Cards), spending at Target is specifically excluded from most (all?) of these promotions. That makes the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Cards one of the best options around for anyone shopping at Target between now and 27 December.
Amex is targeting holders of its Marriott Bonvoy co-branded credit cards for an offer that gives them bonus points on up to $3,500 of combined spending at Amazon, Walmart, and Target. While there are other credit cards that are currently offering better returns for capped spending at Amazon and Walmart, the opportunity to earn up to 8 Marriott Bonvoy Points/dollar at Target is a good one and one that could be useful as we approach Black Friday, Cyber Monday and the whole into the gift-buying season.
Featured image by Hafidh Satyanto