Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures found at the bottom of every page.
Yesterday I wrote about how you can get 10% cash back or 10 Membership Rewards Points per dollar spent at IHG properties in the US and that will stack very nicely with an offer that American Express has published today which gives targeted cardholders up to 20% back on their spending at InterContinental and Kimpton hotels.
Save At InterContinental & Kimpton Properties
Get a one-time $60 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to spend $300+ in one or more transactions on room rate and room charges, after you pay for your stay at InterContinental® & Kimpton® Hotels from 8/2/2021 to 12/31/2021.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for stays at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts or any Kimpton® Hotel locations in the US.
- Reservations must be made online at ihg.com/intercontinental or kimptonhotels.com, by using the mobile app or by calling 1-888-424-6835 or 1-800-KIMPTON (546-7866).
- Excludes all other IHG brands.
- Excludes international locations outside the US.
- Not valid for purchases at restaurants, gift cards, kimptonstyle.com, or for IHG Rewards Club points purchases.
- Offer only valid on room rate and room charges.
- Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 12/31/2021, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
See your targeted offer for full terms and conditions
The first thing to point out is that this is the exact same offer that we saw Amex publish at the beginning of August (which ends in just under a week’s time) so Amex and IHG are clearly keen to keep rolling this deal over. That’s good news for us!
I’ve chosen to load this offer to my Blue Business Plus® card from American Express (review) because it hasn’t been targeted to any of my other cards that offer a bonus for travel or hotel spending (the 2 points/dollar that the Blue Business Plus card offers me is a better return than I’ll get on any other card – terms apply). If you’ve been targeted, hopefully, you’ll have this offer available on a card like the Amex Green Card which will earn you, amongst other bonuses, 3 points/dollar on travel or, if you’re traveling for business, the American Express® Business Gold Card which can earn you up to 4 points per dollar (terms apply).
As far as the offer itself goes, on its own, it’s not bad but it’s not amazing. Coupled with the 10% cash back or 10 Amex Points/dollar offer that Rakuten is currently offering, it’s a lot more impressive and can make an InterContinental or Kimpton booking look attractive.
Sure, it’s a little disappointing that the offer is limited to properties in the US – with vaccinated Americans now welcome in most parts of Europe this offer could have been put to good use at great properties in places like France, the UK or Italy – but this is what we have come to expect from Amex and, frankly, is par for the course.
It’s worth remembering that as of last year the InterContinental Ambassador free night benefit can be used at Kimpton properties on any day of the week so if you can pair this offer with that benefit and the Rakuten offer, you could end up with a very nice deal on a 2-night stay.
Amex is currently targeting cardholders for savings at InterContinental and Kimpton properties across the United States. The discount is valid through to the end of the year but the Rakuten deal is only available through the end of this week so time is of the essence if you want to maximize your savings.