Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site – I’m very grateful to anyone who uses these links but their use is entirely optional. The compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site and does not impact reviews that are published. For more details please see the advertising disclosure found at the bottom of every page.
In comparison to some of the pretty impressive AMEX offers we’ve been seeing lately this latest offer aimed at cardholders booking Delta flights is a little tame…but it’s still nice to get free cash back for doing not very much at all!
Get a one-time $40 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200+ in one or more transactions direct with Delta Air Lines by 11/12/2019. Flight must originate in the U.S. and purchase must be in USD.
Note: You may have been targeted for an offer where $300 spend gets a $60 rebate
Full terms and conditions are reproduced at the end of this post.
On the face of things, this isn’t particularly exciting (and it’s not!) but this offer does have a few more uses than the headline info suggests.
A quick look at the terms and conditions (below) indicates that although there are a disappointing number of exclusions to this AMEX offer, there are one or two useful ways outside of a standalone flight booking that this offer can be used for.
Specifically, transactions including the purchase of SkyClub memberships, Delta Vacation Packages, upgrades, seat selection fees, and baggage fees will all trigger the offer as long as they’re made through Delta.com (in-person transactions will not qualify).
All of this, however, may make it incredibly important to be careful which AMEX card you load this offer to.
If you load this offer to a Platinum Card on which Delta is the nominated airline and on which the annual $200 airline credit has not yet been consumed, can you be sure that when you pay for things like seat selection and baggage fees that the AMEX offer will trigger and that the costs won’t simply be credited against the $200 annual rebate?
I have absolutely no idea what the answer to this is but if I was in the position I just described I wouldn’t be taking any risks and I’d load the offer on to one of my other AMEX cards which had been targeted.
Naturally, if you simply plan to use the AMEX offer to reduce the cost of a flight (which would not trigger the $200 annual credit) then this is a non-issue.
A useful if unspectacular offer from American Express but one that should be good for any frequent Delta flyers.
If anyone knows the answer to the question of how AMEX would treat this offer if it was loaded on to a Platinum card where the airline rebate was yet to be consumed, please let me know in the comments.
Terms & Conditions Per AMEX
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for purchases made directly with Delta Air Lines through U.S. delta.com, via Fly Delta U.S. App, and U.S. reservation telephone line.
- Flights must originate in the U.S., including U.S. territories and purchases must be in U.S. dollars to qualify.
- Offer valid only for purchases where Delta Air Lines is the merchant of record, such as airfare, fare upgrades, seat selection fees, baggage fees, and Sky Club® memberships.
- Purchases such as Delta Shuttle® and Delta Vacation® packages are included if purchased through delta.com.
- Excludes the following: (i) purchases in-person at the airport, lounges, and sales offices, (ii) all purchases on-board flights including food, beverage, WiFi, and entertainment, (iii) stand alone hotel bookings and car rentals through delta.com, (iv) purchases through third parties or affiliated agents, and (v) Delta Cargo, Delta Private Jets® & On Demand Charter services, Delta Flight Museum, SkyMiles® Marketplace purchases, SkyMiles Experiences™, SkyMiles Cruises, Delta Meeting Network, (vi) travel insurance/trip protection, gift card purchases, purchases via Clear, standby fees, and charitable donations.
- Offer is non-transferable.
- Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member.
- The enrolled Card account must not be cancelled or past due to receive statement credit.
- Any benefit earned from this offer is in addition to the rewards (i.e. Membership Rewards or cash back) earned as part of your existing Card benefits, but your ability to earn spend-based rewards for the purchase will be based on the amount after any statement credit or other discount is applied.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 11/12/2019, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant.
- Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled.
- If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
- By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer.