There are no credit card affiliate links in this post. Any links to credit cards are provided for informational purposes only and Traveling For Miles will not receive any commission for click-throughs or sign-ups made via this post.
American Express has launched a new promotion on its Blue Cash Everyday Card which entitles new card members to earn up to $300 in cash back on their spending.
Here are the details from American Express:
New Card Members will have the opportunity to earn up to $300 cash back, including 10% on purchases at U.S. Wireless Telephone Service Providers up to $200 through the end of 2016.
- New Card Members who apply by June 15, 2016 can earn up to $200 cash back in the form of statement credits with the new offer that rewards them with 10% cash back on the first $2,000 spent at U.S. Wireless Telephone Service Providers through December 31, 2016.
- Additionally, new Card Members will also earn $100 cash back in the form of a statement credit after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first three months of Card Membership.
The best bit about this promotion is that the Blue Cash Everyday card comes with no annual fee so the cash back you receive isn’t just helping to offset a fee, all of it is a real saving.
About The Blue Cash Everyday Card
The Blue Cash Everyday card earns cash back at different rates depending where you do your spending:
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on the first $6,000 spent in a calendar year (reverts to 1% after that)
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations
- 2% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores
- 1% Cash Back on all other purchases.
It’s important to note that the cash back is paid in the form of “Reward Dollars” and not actual cash but these reward dollars can be used as credits on your statement.
If you’re wondering what American Express defines as a supermarket, what kind of gas stations are excluded or if you’d like to know what “select U.S. department stores” are eligible for the 2% cash back then take a look at this American Express page.
Why I Like The Blue Cash Everyday Card
- It’s free
- It’s also free for additional card holders which can help you meet spend requirements and cash back targets.
- It can help to add age to your credit score – American Express will match the date you first got the Blue Cash Everyday Card to the date you got your earliest American Express card (that you still hold).
- If you don’t like having to work out the intricacies of a points/miles based reward system then cash back is a great alternative.
- It works well for those not great at saving money – the cash back can only be spent as a statement credit so the rewards earned will always be used for reducing your credit card balance.
To get the full $300 cash back you’ll need to spend $1,000 in the first three months of card membership (which shouldn’t be too hard) and spend $2,000 at U.S. Wireless Telephone Service Providers by 31 December 2016. Bear that in mind when deciding if this offer is for you.
It’s also possibly worth bearing in mind this rumor that surfaced earlier in the week regarding the number of American Express credit cards a card member can hold at any one time.
I like this credit card for its simplicity and the fact that it’s free. Yes, there are more enticing cards that American Express offers but for a free card this one has a lot going for it and you don’t have to be heavily into the miles & points game to get a good benefit out of it. It’s a perfectly good card for what it’s been designed for – Every day use.